La Dieta de Ayahuasca
Meals are Included at Retreat
Please avoid foods that elevate Tyramine levels in the body, ideally 2 weeks, but at least, 1 week before ceremony, and then, 1 week following ceremony.
Foods High in Tyramine to Avoid
- Foods that are fermented, aged, cured and spoiled including:
- Herring and anchovies
- Meats that are prepared by spoiling, pickling, aging, smoking, fermenting, or marinating
- Fermented dairy products such as sour cream, yogurt, and most cheeses
- Fermented plant foods such as alcoholic beverages, soy sauce, soybean condiments, teriyaki sauce, tempeh, miso soup, sauerkraut, and kimchi
- Chocolate, shrimp paste, broad (fava) beans, green bean pods, Italian flat (Romano) beans, snow peas, edamame, raisins, dates, pineapple, eggplants, figs, red plums, raspberries, peanuts and peanut butter, Brazil nuts, coconuts, processed meat, yeast, an array of cacti, and the holiday plant mistletoe.
- **Note on meats: Meats such as pork and beef are not considered high in tyramine prepared fresh, however under an ayahuasca diet, these foods are not conducive to an effective ayahuasca experience.
Guidelines for Lowering Tyramine
- Use extra caution when selecting, storing, and preparing your food.
- Eat fresh produce within two days of purchase if possible.
- Read all food and drink labels carefully.
- Avoid spoiled, aged, fermented, or pickled foods.
- Don’t thaw foods at room temperature. Thaw in the refrigerator instead.
- Eat canned or frozen foods, including produce, poultry and fish, right after opening.
- Buy fresh poultry and fish and eat them the same day, or freeze them immediately.
- Keep in mind that cooking will not lower tyramine content.
- Use caution when you eat out because you don’t know how foods have been stored.
Foods To Eat on A Low Tyramine Diet
- All grains including breads, pasta, cereals low in sugar and rice
- Some sources state that dairy of any kind is not acceptable with a low tyramine diet however other sources state that some dairy such as ricotta and cottage cheese is acceptable because these cheeses are not aged.
- Eggs, beans, nuts (except the few mentioned above)
- All fruits except bananas, raspberries, raisins, dates pineapple, figs, avocados and red plums
- All vegetables except green beans, snow peas, edamame
- Fish and chicken prepared by boiling or light saute"
Ayahuasca is Powerfully Psychoactive,
For Ayahuasca Ceremony.
1 to 2 weeks,
Before or After,
No Caffeinated Sports Drinks,
Medications; Please consult with your Doctor;
To discontinue Taking Ayahuasca Contraindicated
Prescribed Drugs, or
Ask your doctor about any currently,
which might contraindicate
with an " MAOI" found in Ayahuasca.
SSRI meds, talk with your doctor,
6 weeks off Prozac,
4 weeks off all others,
Before Ayahuasca Ceremony.
If there is a question?
Please consult your Doctor!
Please Report Any;
Family History of Psychotic Illness?
Family History of Schizophrenia?
Before, Ayahuasca Ceremony
Keep your Electrolytes, balanced.
Eat Natural, Nourishing Foods.
Please Sleep, Well.
During the week of Ceremony,
We eat no; salt, sugar, oil, spicy food, red meats, pork,
Sensible, sensitivity, builds energy for the experience!